Saturday, September 8, 2012

My DIY Bird Feeder Security Camera Enclosure

So I was a little bored and I said to myself. "You know what this house needs? It needs a damn security camera disguised as a damn bird feeder. That's what it needs." Actually I didn't say that, but I have been trying to find a weatherproof enclosure for a Compro IP70 / ZyXel IPC3605N (same cam). I can't find one anywhere. No one makes a weather-proof enclosure for these types of cams for some reason.

I was at Lowes home improvement store and I happened to see a bird feeder and for some reason my brain said "you know what? I bet we can shove that camera in there". It's got a roof to keep water off, and it's got 2 plastic sides to protect the lens and other exposed parts. PERFECT!!

$24 dollars later I had the makings of a bird feeder-based security camera enclosure. I'm still working out the kinks, but I think this thing just might work. The one challenge I've had so far is trying to keep the glare down from the infrared lights coming on when it gets dark, but I think I've just about got that taken care of by adjusting the angle of the camera so it doesn't see the glare.  Stay tuned.

14 comments:

  1. Are you safe when you are in home? May be not.so, You need Spy Camera.I can give you the information about Spy Camera which can help to safe your life.just go now to my given link.www.dynaspy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, nice blog, voted you and added. Keep blogging, have a nice day! Read more for Best Home Security. Visit at http://security-system-reviewss.blogspot.in/

      Delete
  2. welcome to security light camera 5% Off Security Camera Sale | Stop an intruder with a security camera system which can also be of the Wireless Security Camera System type of surveillance cameras and buy security cameras online from Redeyecameras.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bedwetting can lead to lack of confidence in children. It can be limited or treated through a few simple tricks and a little support from the caretaker. The problem of take care is out with bed wetting alarm system, sensor help to out these problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, security is a primary concern for everyone. Installing Security Camera in public areas can help to prevent from criminal activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imprnt Systems clients can avail from us a wide range of CCTV Camera Systems. These Home Security Cameras systems are widely used for security/surveillance of indoor/outdoor location.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Minneapolis-based security contractor Lloyd Security works with security systems of your choosing including no phone line security systems.

    Minnesota contracted surveillance

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to take the power of thanking you for that specialized guidance I've constantly enjoyed viewing your blog. business surveillance camera

    ReplyDelete
  8. EPG Security Group works with some of the most well known wedding venues in the upper Midwest. Our clients understand that their clients demand well groomed and customer service driven professionals.
    View our services at:
    wedding security services

    ReplyDelete
  9. Security Monitoring is the collection, analysis, and escalation of
    indications and warnings to detect and respond to intrusions. Protection Concepts can customize a residential security monitoring system to meet your individual needs or in most cases takeover your existing one. We never make you commit to a long-term contract and you own your equipment. We offer YOU options and information to meet YOUR comfort level, YOUR security needs and within YOUR budget.

    security system atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it’s a nice one, I have been looking for. Thanks for sharing such informative stuff. Automotive locksmith West Palm Beach

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for compiling such nicest information in your blogs. Articles are very informative and hope again I’ll find more like that.
    http://www.paydayloanexperience.com

    ReplyDelete